Thursday, March 25, 2010

Intern Blogger: Intern Blog: teenvogue.com

Our interns give you the inside scoop on what it's like working at <em>Teen Vogue</em>.

Many bloggers have experimented with autoposting, Wp Robot is one of the best autoblogging solutions available....easy to use and keeps your blogs fresh!

Wordpress Info found on www.teenvogue.com

Interview Outfit:Blue/Purple Boyfriend Oxford: SplendidBlack Mini: LeyendeckerGray Tights: FogalBlack Studded Flats: Prada

From the moment I was handed a copy of Teen Vogue way back in 2003, I knew I'd fallen in love. Fast forward six years later, and you can find every issue of my so-called "bible" stacked away in my room. As I sit here writing this blog, I still have to occasionally stop to pinch myself. Never would I have dreamed that I'd actually take part in the production of my favorite magazine!

As a student at The College of New Jersey, I commute three days a week to Times Square. My job consists of many different duties, for example checking all fashion and accessory samples chosen by our editors for various shoots in and out of the closet. During fashion week I create "lookbooks" sampling each look at every different designer show. These are very important because the fashion director orders clothes directly from the books for shoots. When stylists are in the office I assist them with storyboards, or inspirational posters composed of cutouts of runway looks. Other tasks I do as a fashion intern include running to designer showrooms, packing and unpacking photoshoots, and occasionally helping on location at a shoot.

As a member of my school's chapter of Ed2010, a network for aspiring magazine editors, I got the opportunity to take a tour of the offices last spring with features director Leigh Belz. Leigh gave me contacts to the fashion department and before I knew it I had an interview set up. I will never forget how nervous I was on my interview day; wearing silver heels, a black dress under a blazer, and a bright purse for a pop of color, I put forward my most positive attitude and gave it my best shot. Luckily, I was asked back for a trial round where I interned for a half day in the closet. After that I got the job, and have been at Teen Vogue ever since!

For all you aspirers out there, I recommend being forward and directly emailing the editors. Also, take advantage of every networking opportunity you come across--contacts are key in this industry. Even if things don't work out ideally at the beginning, don't give up; if you really have a passion and drive for something, it will show through in the end. I major in Communication Studies and Spanish, have no prior fashion experience, and still got the internship. Good luck to you all and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Read More About Wordpress...

No comments:

Post a Comment